Sunday, September 12, 2010

Juggling

The phrase "keep all the balls in the air" has been on my mind a lot lately.  It's a concept I've long been familiar with as a lifelong overachiever.  In high school, it wasn't abnormal for my days to span 18-20 hours: waking up at 5:30am for 6:45am student council meetings, a full day of honors/AP classes, 3-4 hours of dance practice, meetings for one of the various student organizations in which I was involved, evening orchestra practices or violin lessons, and finally making it home to eat dinner and start homework at roughly 9-10pm.  Clearly, I learned nothing from this as I've similarly overloaded my life as a doctoral student.  On top of the 3 reading- and writing-heavy classes I'm taking this semester (saying that I'll be producing at least 100 pages of writing for my classes alone would be a conservative estimate), I'm co-authoring a chapter for an edited book, working on a new research project, "managing" (long story) a scholar at another university for said research project, co-organizing a interdisciplinary research symposium for doctoral students in my discipline and another school on campus, leading planning efforts for a research conference that will occur on campus this spring, advising an undergraduate student organization, and am on the advisory board for a small college in New England.  I'm constantly afraid of dropping a ball and screwing something up.  Don't get me wrong - I've chosen to do all of these things...I could have said no at any time, so should I even be complaining?
Maybe it's the "publish or perish" mentality in academia...it's not just for tenure-seekers anymore.  It's almost like your CV has to be 8-10 pages long to even be considered for a tenure-track position these days.  I felt almost guilty while talking to a former officemate last week...she graduated in May with no publications and has been applying to jobs with no luck, not even a single interview.  I could potentially have 3-4 publications by the end of my 2nd year, and am still worried about whether I'll be competitive in the job market in a couple of years...which is why I've chosen to overload myself to the point of having weekly nervous breakdowns.  I'm fortunate to have an incredible advisor who continues to offer fantastic opportunities to me, and she's judgmental (in a good way) enough that I know she wouldn't be giving me these chances if she didn't think I have a shot at making it in this crazy line of work...and while I'm stressed out pretty much all the time, I'm happy with what I'm doing and I do enjoy it.  But that lingering thought of whether all of this juggling is/will be worth it constantly sits at the back of my mind...

No comments:

Post a Comment